Plover is located on the portage between the lower and the upper Wisconsin River. It was the first village and, in 1844, the first seat of government of the present Portage County. The village was platted in 1845, but it was not until 1857 that it was incorporated as a village. When Stevens Point replaced Plover as county seat, Plover was disincorporated.
In 1912 Plover was again incorporated but, because of financial problems, it was dissolved shortly afterwards. Since the mid-1960s as movement to incorporate Plover was again activated and was successful in its goal in 1971. In all three occasions the village was created out of the township of Plover. The Village of Plover is the most populated village in the county.